Karla Darcy is a fiction writer as well as a professional researcher who has always adored Jane Austen and all things Regency. Raised in Chicago she always hoped she’d be hired to work for the Encyclopedia Britannica or at the very least get a job writing clues for Jeopardy. After college, she ended up at an advertising agency. She didn’t get to do much research but luckily got to write the slightly salacious entertainment for the Christmas party and other events where the agency’s ads were parodied. Her favorite time period was England during the Regency period so it was a no brainer when she decided to write romantic fiction. It came as an unfortunate circumstance that a history researcher didn’t have a clue how to write a book. Thanks to the advice of her favorite bookseller she found and joined a chapter of Romance Writers of America. These generous women were eager to help her learn the craft of writing and it wasn’t long before she got the hang of weaving elegant stories of love in the Regency era.
Five Things you might like to know from an interview with Karla:
- I can count to ten in five languages. My father loved to learn funny sayings in other languages but the only thing I can remember is how to count.
- I can recite all of the presidents in order from memory.?My family had a friend who took a Dale Carnegie memory course. One night at dinner he taught us how to memorize the presidents. I got an A in high school History class when the teacher challenged the class to recite them in order.
- My secret guilty pleasure is watching the Ninja Warrior TV show.?Not the American version but the Japanese version. Even though it has English subtitles, the constant screaming by the Japanese announcer just adds to the whole experience. When you talk about real men, doing impossible feats of strength and not being muscle bound, it doesn’t get any better than this. I’d prefer if a few more of them ran the course shirtless.
- If I couldn’t be a writer I’d want to be a radio announcer.?I worked in an advertising agency for years and did a couple of voice over commercials and really got a kick out of it. I have a raspy deep voice that sounds great on the radio and in the dark.
- I am the world’s worst procrastinator especially when I’m on deadline.?Unfortunately I do my best work when I’m up against a really short deadline. Adrenaline kicks in and somehow I get it done because I have a built in barometer that tells me just how much time I need to get something done.
Stay connected with her online: http://www.KarlaDarcy.com